Aris Allen Black 1940s Mary Jane Character Shoe - *Only Size 5*
- Aris Allen Women's Black Mid-Heel Character Dance Shoes feature a Mary Jane style Adjustable Buckled Strap and are an exact copy of a 1940s dress shoe.
- Flexible Suede-Leather Sole and Soft Foam Footbed.
- This Women's Black Character Dance Shoe is Perfect for Swing, Balboa, and Ballroom Dancing.
- A well-known tap performer and instructor has proclaimed these "perfect for tap" because the heel is lower than normal and because its placement is "directly under the heel".
- Please check the sizing recommendations before placing your order.
- Item #: 8093-BK
- The foam insole is nice and soft.
- Heel is about 2.25" high.
- Buckle is attached with a piece of elastic so it has a little "give" when you're up on your toes and has a hook closure "quick release buckle" so you only have to buckle them once and unhook them to undo the strap.
We've found - by trying these on countless dancers - it is best to go up a half size for a better fit.
Dancers with Narrow Feet: happy
Dancers with Average Feet: happy
Dancers with Wide Feet: not happy
ABOUT SUEDE SOLES:
- These are made with Suede Soles which are wonderful to dance on but require occasional upkeep (it's usually a problem with catching the edge on a piece of hardwood that is sticking up on the dance floor).
- If you need to re-glue the suede many people just use crazy glue gel. We have also found that commercially produced shoe repair glue (available from the shoe repair shop in your local mall) works great.
- You're not supposed to wear suede soles outside - but every swing dancer knows that you can make suede soles faster by wearing them everywhere to get them dirty, then dance in them until they're shiny on the bottom.
- If you prefer them less zippy you can dull the "mirror finish" they can get by roughing them up with a wire brush periodically. Just remember that when they get wet in the rain they won't spin very easily (conversely - if they're too slippery just spill your drink on the floor and step in it!).