Aris Allen Men's 1932 Brown Captoe Swing Dance Shoes
- Handmade Swing Era dress shoes in the style of captoes from the 1932 Chicago Mail Order Catalog. These work well with vintage army uniforms when dressing up for a USO dance.
- Features the Aris Allen Raw Sole: a flexible leather sole and heel with a rubber layer in the middle of the heel for extra shock absorption. Ask any dance instructor: the “fastness” of the sole forces you to “find your center” immediately.
- This is a very roomy style. See sizing recommendations below.
- The foam footbed is nearly flat and allows thin inserts to be added.
- The uppers are a little gorgeous and incredibly comfortable. Pliable leather with a foam footbed. Many of our test dancers said they were roomy enough to add inserts.
- Heel height is approximately 1".
- Item #: 446-BR
These are great dance shoes because of the slideable sole and heel, and the comfort you need in a shoe that's going to be on the hardwood all night.
(Our returns show we are right about 90% of the time)
We find that these run true to size if you are medium or wide width. So order your usual men's dress shoe size.
Test dancers said that they fit true to size and were roomy. Add a thin insert if it's the perfect length but a bit too roomy.
Test dancers with wide feet were shocked when these fit beautifully even though they don't look wide. "Oh I'm never gonna fit in th-- wait, what? It's my size!" Not kidding. A size 9.5 EEE tester fit into a size 10.
Test dancers with narrow feet had to put inserts in them to get a good fit. If you are in between sizes the smaller of the two might be best for you.
Note for larger sizes:
Our test dancer who wore a size 15 in our previous shoes found that they fit a 14 in this style.
About “Blucher” construction:
This captoe is made in the Blucher style, meaning that unlike most dress shoes they are constructed to open and close across the foot with laces (rather than being stitched down at the base of the laces) to allow you to adjust the fit to your liking. This means they easily fit a variety of widths, from slightly narrow to average to slightly wide.
ABOUT THE ARIS ALLEN RAW SOLE:
- The Aris Allen Raw Sole is made from flexible hard leather that gets “faster” over time by repeatedly absorbing the natural humidity in the air (especially at a dance) and drying. The bottom of the sole and heel is made from sanded hard leather and after a few hours of wear they become “raw” on the bottom and perform a lot like Chrome Leather (suede) which allows you to spin and slide, and still control the floor. If you find the sole has picked up dirt from the floor and is slowing down, just shuffle your feet on the sidewalk once or twice to refresh it.
- The raw leather surface is designed for the intermediate / advanced dancer - but they're also great as a second pair for beginners... the “fastness” of the sole forces you to “find your center” immediately.
ABOUT THE CONSTRUCTION OF THESE SHOES:
They are absolutely 100% handmade. The cutting of the leather is done by hand - not stamped out, the glue is put on with a brush, not a machine, and the sewing, while done with a sewing machine, is done one at a time. You can even see the occasional pencil mark! This means that the shoe on your foot is the product of a craftsman who sees the shoe from start to finish. This also explains why you will find the occasional imperfection. They are made one at a time.